Reflection three
Connecting communities
through technology
My centre visits local
rest home once a week. It is a good
opportunity for children to explore local community and expand their learning
boundaries. When children visit the ‘old
kids’, children and teachers usually dance to the music while the elderly sit
and clap for us. At the last visit to
the ‘old kids’, we sang a special song which we have been practicing for
several weeks at mat time. It was a
special performance for Easter. One of
the teachers recorded the whole performance with video camera. For the next few days, centre laptop was
placed on the play table near the entrance door, playing the recorded
performance. Teachers encouraged parents
and children to take a look at the video.
Parents showed great interests in watching what their children actually
did at the time. Children seemed
enjoying to see their images on the computer.
Some children kept watching the video several times.
When I sent my daughter
to the kindergarten some years ago, portfolio was the only communicational way
through which I can see my child’s activities, participation, developmental
progress, and detailed relationships. I
always felt there was not enough communication between the centre and the
parent or between the teachers and the parent.
Now, I feel very positive about the way New Zealand ECE services have
introduced technology into their curriculum.
I agree with Smorti (1999) that some ECE centres have “taken up
the challenge and have used a focus on technology to revitalise curriculum …
excited and motivated by change” (p. 5).
Also, Te Whāriki supports using technology in
the learning areas because technology can help children understand that diverse
technological items can be used in diverse settings (Ministry of
Education, 1996). I strongly believe it is teachers’ responsibilities
to introduce new technological challenge to the centre curriculum so that
children can prepare themselves for the future professions. I agree with Fleer and Jane (2011) that
children should be encouraged to participate in technology activities as
purpose-oriented technology focuses on real world problems and help children
enhance their understanding on making effective technological products. I believe teachers should support children to
develop technological capabilities in early years so that children develop knowledge,
skills, and attitudes in which they can connect to the real wider world within
and beyond early childhood settings.
Yang
(2009) confirms that the technology development has changed the direction of
educational programmes as all learners of all ages now have access to
technology such as world wide web, mp3, and social networking system. Especially, emails and electronic bulletin
boards are promoting technological communication between teachers and
learners. I have to admit now I can’t
imagine living without internet any more.
This is a quite dramatic change.
I grew up where there were no such things called computers, internet,
mobile phone, and ipod. Children went to
the classroom to meet the teacher and watched blackboard for information and
read books to deepen the knowledge.
However, technology now stimulates more learning and teaching. I have no idea how things will be changed
rapidly for the young generation. I just
can tell things will be very different when they are grown up. This is why we, early childhood educators,
have to be equipped ourselves first to the up-date technology so that we can
support and further enhance children’s capabilities in their journey to the
technological era.
Even,
Ministry of
Education supports technological learning environment to meet the needs of “key
stakeholders, current and potential users” (Ministry of Education, 2007, p.
30). I believe it is very important the official
education provider is responsible for the implementation of the technology
curriculum in New Zealand. So, I feel
very positive for young children’s learning as New Zealand’s early childhood
education sector is fully aware of the importance of children’s learning
through the effective use of information and communication technologies (ICT). According to Ministry of Education (2005),
ICT is a part of children’s learning already so teachers have to understand the
impact on the children’s lives and use ICT to enhance children’s learning for
the purpose of providing better communication, cooperative relationships,
creativity, imagination, problem-solving, and flexible thinking.
I believe teachers have
to keep working on discovering and integrating ICT into their teaching
practice.
Reference
Fleer, M., & Jane, B. (2011). Design
and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson
Australia.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te
Whāriki, he whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood
curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry
of Education. (2005). Foundations
for discovery. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The
New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Smorti, S. (1999).
Technology in early childhood. Early
Education, 1, 5-10.


Shin it is great to see your centre using video to record the children’s valuable learning experiences such as this one. It is good to see you have a positive attitude towards technology and have identified that it is a valuable and beneficial way to extend and improve the curriculum and documentation. Technology is essential to improving the quality of education, and shouldn’t be seen as separate to education (Can-Yasar, Inal, Uyanik & Kandir, 2012). I agree that with the significant changes in our lives surrounding technology, teachers need to develop their own skills, and strategies to best enhance children’s learning through the use of technology (Couse & Chen, 2010). Displaying the video for the children, their peers, teachers and family members to watch helps children to develop the confidence and ability to express their ideas as they see their contribution is appreciated and valued (Ministry of Education, 1996). Perhaps you might like to take regular videos of the children’s experiences in the centre and send them home for the children to enjoy, or set up a viewing station for children to watch videos of themselves or ones they have filmed!
ReplyDeleteShin,I am pleased your centre was using video to record the children's singing experience. I like how your centre is using technology by put the video onto lap tops so the children, parents, family/whanau could see the children preforming. The children are recalling their experience by watching the video which is good for their self confedience and the parents, family/whanau are been kept informed and can see their children enjoying the experience."Information and communication technology, (ICT) has a major impact on the world in which young people live" (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.36).
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that teachers need to support children to develop technological capabilities, and the teachers need to keep on improving their skills. The teachers need to bring more ICT into their teaching practice which will give more opportunities for the children to learn ICT. "Our vision for young people: who will seize the opportunities offered by new knowledge and technologies to secure a sustainable, social, culture, economic and environmental future for our country. (Ministry of Education,2007, p.9).
Reference List:
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Wharaki: He whariki matauranga
mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum.
Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand Curriculum.
Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.