Monday, 18 March 2013

Reflection one



Reflection one

New Era of Technology                                      
Google Images (n.d.)

I have noticed 4 years old girl, C, was taking photos with a digital camera.  C seemed very confident in using camera, knowing which button to press to take photos.  When I asked her to show me what she had taken, C knew very well what she was doing.  I looked at the photos C had taken, mostly it was teachers of the centre, not her peers.  After lunch, I observed C was touching centre Ipod to select her favourite music to play.  C told me she is searching for Kangnam style as it is good for dancing.  C knew how to operate preschool Ipod. 

I was quite amazed by her knowledge and skills about those technological items.  I thought she knows far more than I do about those machines.  When I asked C where she got the camera, wondering she is using one of teachers’ cameras.  But C showed me the camera, it has clear sign on it, saying 'Children’s'.  I was not only impressed on the ways children are able to use technological items in the preschool, also, centre teachers are incorporating technology into their teaching practice.  Teachers are providing 'children’s camera' to any child who wants to take photos in this centre. 
C is operating Ipod
I think it is so fascinating to see how different now about teachers’ attitude toward using technology.  Personally I never allowed my children to touch my camera or video cam.  I am from the generation that only skilled adults manage technological devices.  Children were not allowed to have an access to any devices.  When children in my centre asked me to give them camera, I have to admit I was very reluctant to hand it to them, worrying what might happen when they drop it or break it.  I agree with Tsantis, Bewick, and Thornton (2003) about our common myths on using technology in the early years.  We think it is less beneficial educationally for the children if children know more about high technology than teachers so that teachers themselves become obstacles for children to explore more about technology including computers in early childhood. 
     
However, I believe this society is changing so rapidly in terms of embracing technology into educational services.  Mostly, people are so enthusiastic about owning and utilizing new technology in their lives.  According to Fleer and Jane (2011), teachers should incorporate technological literacy into their teaching practice, allowing the children to have opportunities to enhance their independence, creativity and technological learning.

Ministry of Education clearly states in The New Zealand Curriculum that there are important values in the technology education.  The aim for using technology in the early years is to encourage young children to develop foundational technological literacy so they can be equipped to participate in the wider society as they are getting older to have access to technology-related jobs in the future (Ministry of Education, 2007).  Also, New Zealand’s early childhood educational curriculum, Te Whāriki claims that children can develop capability in problem solving when they are using technological materials in various places and settings which help them improve self-confidence and well-being (Ministry of Education, 1996).

It was really good to see that my centre and teachers are actually embracing new technology into the teaching practice and encouraging children to make the most of it.  I believe it would be really beneficial for children as they have technological experience when they are using camera and ipod.  Because that is what we are doing at present and shows contemporary examples of technology.  I was quite technology-illiterate, not knowing what to do, being scared to try on new digital devices, and dependent on younger generation when it comes to using technology.  However, now I am very willing to learn new technology, being open-minded, and be helpful to children in their technology-exploration journey.         


Reference

Fleer, M., & Jane, B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Australia. 

Google Images. (n.d.). [Child with camera]. Retrieved from https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=738&q=child+with+camera&oq=child+with+ca&gs_l=img.1.1.0l7j0i24l3.2722.6524.0.9106.13.10.0.3.3.0.215.1612.2j6j2.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.7.img.j8h2iaoWVcw

Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki, he whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

Tsantis, L., Bewick, C., & Thornton, S. (2003). Examining some common myths about computers in the early years. Young Children on the Web, 2003, Noverber, 1-9.


C took photo of me

3 comments:

  1. Shin I was also amazed to see how technologically literate some of the young children at my centre are. They certainly have taught me a thing or two about the Ipad! I’ve discovered the best approach that works for me when learning about new technology is to not be afraid and give it a go. I agree with you that the young children of today know far more than us about technology. I think it’s because they are surrounded by it from the time they are born and also because they are not afraid to pick up the latest device and give it a go. I feel that as a teacher, we need to embrace technology within our early childhood setting as it is part of children’s lives today. Since technology impacts on the lives of children, it is important that educators consider integrating it into the children’s experiences to enhance their learning (Ministry of Education, 2005). We teachers need to have a sound knowledge of technology and if we don’t we should be willing to learn about this constantly changing topic so we become confident and are able to use these instructional tools for our children’s benefit (Tsantis, Bewick & Thornton, 2003). Good on you for being open-minded and willing to learn about new technology. I’ve made this my goal too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ka pai Shin! I really liked the way you recognised children’s abilities through the use of technological tools and responded to this information. As a teacher, we need to understand that children are capable and confident users of tools like these if given the chance (Fleer & Jane, 2011). I can see that throughout this experience you gained knowledge of this, that you can use within future practices. It sounds like your centre is doing a fantastic job of incorporating technology within the environment and I encourage you to keep it up, as the children of today are growing up in an information society. The better we prepare them for the future of technology, the easier they will adapt to new technologies (Ministry of Education, 2007). Like you, I also am sometimes apprehensive when allowing children to use expensive pieces of equipment; yet I have come to understand that children are more careful and cautious than we sometimes give them credit for. As teachers we need to continue to up-skill and expand our knowledge of technology in order to use this knowledge to educate the children in this area (Tsantis, Bewick & Thornton, 2003).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Shin, wow I’m impressed with how well your centre supports technological tools in your centre by not being afraid to give the children the chance to use the tools to support their interests and learning. I strongly agree with you and your centre that teachers need to encourage and give children opportunities to be capable and confident users of digital tools like the Ipod and camera to support and enhance children’s learning and development (Fleer & Jane, 2011). Children using technological tools provide the children with opportunities to grow through exploration, challenges, problem-solving, curiosity, and meaningful learning experiences to become a passionate learner towards technology as it becomes a vital part of their lives (Weisbrot, 2011). It’s interesting to see how technology is evolving through time; it is good to see you open-minded, accepting and willing to learn about the technological tool yourself. Your reflection is well supported by literature and you stated that “society is changing so rapidly in terms of embracing technology into educational services”, we need to remember that the aim for using technology in the early years is to encourage young children to develop foundational technological literacy and skills, so they can be better prepared to be successful learners in the wider society (Ministry of Education, 2007).

    Reference List:
    Fleer,M., &Jane,B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Australia.
    Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media
    Weisbrot,M. (2011). Shaping the future: Teaching kids to use digital cameras. Retrieved from: http://www.ultimatephotoguide.com/articles/tips-techniques/shaping-the-future-teaching-kids-to-use-digital-cameras/

    ReplyDelete